Monday, June 20, 2011

Review: Visions of Magic by Regan Hastings


In the ten years since magic has reemerged in the world, witches have become feared and hunted. For weeks Shea Jameson has been haunted by visions of fire. When she unintentionally performs a spell in public, she becomes one of the hunted. Her only hope is Torin, a dangerously sensual man who claims to be her eternal mate.

So, I'm going to borrow a bit from my goodreads review of this one and say this: The premise of the book could be interesting. Maybe. The writing was not good. It certainly wasn't the worst writing I've ever read, but it was by no means the best. It was slightly below average. The whole book was slightly below average. It never pissed me off enough to want to throw it across the room, it never incited any extreme emotion in me at all, it was just...meh. The author tried so hard to be mysterious, but it just turned into annoying and unnecessary vagueness that caused very predictable conflict and eye rolling moments. Also, there were holes in the story that I don't remember being explained well enough.

I enjoyed the idea of the romance: this guy who has stood by his woman for generations and countless incarnations. He takes the whole "for better or worse" thing to a new level. He loves her sweet and sassy and he loves her bitchy, cruel and power hungry. That's sweet and should have hit all my turn on buttons, but while I was able to appreciate it, it never really did much for me.

I liked the concept of women of power banding together to right their own wrongs and this brotherhood of powerful men that have to stick together not just to protect their women but because to deal with these chicks the men need a whole emotional support system. Ha! Awesome.

Honestly, Visions of Magic had promise, and while it was at times enjoyable, it was ultimately very forgettable.

Final Grade: D+

0 comments:

 
That's QUEEN Bitch To You © 2007 Template feito por Áurea R.C.