Monday, April 12, 2010

Review: Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs


All-new action in the #1 New York Times bestselling urban fantasy series

When mechanic and shapeshifter Mercy Thompson attempts to return a powerful Fae book she'd previously borrowed in an act of desperation, she finds the bookstore locked up and closed down.

It seems the book contains secret knowledge-and the Fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands. And if that doesn't take enough of Mercy's attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side-leaving Mercy to cover for him, lest his own father declare Sam's life forfeit.

All in all, Mercy has had better days. And if she isn't careful, she might not have many more to live...


Silver Borne is the fifth book in the Mercy Thompson series and it continues the story of Mercy and her friends very well. This is one of my favorite Urban Fantasy series out there right now.

This installment focuses more on Adam and Mercy's relationship and how Mercy can integrate her life with Adam's and how she has to deal with the pack and all it's politics.

Silver Borne has a few issues, one being that the storyline of Sam was very good but felt rushed at the end. Some of the pack story line irritated me and I wish some people would have been dealt with more aggressively, but it all worked out and in the end the pack was stronger for it.

I loved seeing Mercy and Adam together in this one. They've gone through so much to be together and it's still not totally smooth sailing but I so enjoyed the moments that they got to have together in the midst of all the chaos and drama around them. As always, I loved Mercy's relationship with Jesse, Adam's daughter and some of the pack members that Mercy is close to like Ben and Warren. I love how Ben and Mercy's relationship has evolved from the first book.

Something that is hinted at and I really hope is expanded on in the next books, is Mercy's connection to Bran, The Marrock and basically king of the Werewolves. He treats her like a daughter and she seems to see him more and more as a father figure and they had such a great connection in this one that I'd like to see more of it.

I was very disappointed by the notable absence of one character in this book and I felt like that was a bit of a cop out but I also admit that there really wasn't a need for him in this story.

Overall I really enjoyed Silver Borne. It had some flaws but Ms. Briggs is a consistently good writer and the characters are so enjoyable that you can't help but enjoy the story. This series is very well written and full of wonderful characters and lots of action and I highly recommend it to fans of Urban Fantasy or Paranormal Romance.

Final grade: A-

P.S. I went to a signing for Patricia Briggs on the 7th in San Diego and I have to say that she is a lovely and warm person with a great sense of humor and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting her. :D

ETA: Link to buy Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Book 5)

12 comments:

SusiSunshine said...

Thought the same about the missing character.

And I loved that we see that much of Adam in this one.
Great honest review hon!

Sparklybearsy said...

Hi Hun! award for you at my blog! (sorries, for highjacking your comments, i didnt know where else to tell you =D ) xoxo

PS. im soo wanting this series!!

The Queen B said...

Thanks sweets! She writes such an enjoyable series that I find I can forgive things pretty easily :P

The Queen B said...

@Sparklybearsy LOL, that's fine. I'll be heading over to check it out, thanks!
P.S. You should sooo get this series :)

Smokinhotbooks said...

*mutters* I haven't read Patricia Briggs.

The Queen B said...

@Smokinhotbooks *sputters* Whaaaa? Did I lead you astray about Kate Daniels? You better snap to it, chicky! LOL

Mandi said...

I agree..thing at end was rushed..and I missed the person missing!!

Loved the relationship stuff we get with Mercy and Adam though...

Glory said...

you lucky girl!! i wanna meet Patricia!

Well,the book. i love it, sure!
yep, i want to see mercy'connection to bran in the next books.
whatever. i dont like Sam in this book, i mean...he fall in love with, wiht...ouch, i dont remember her name. Anyway, that is too quickly. First Sam loved Mercy, then 5 minutes he love another woman. That's strange for me.

you understand? I cant write english, lol. Im sorry.

The Queen B said...

@Mandi Yeah, I think people bitched abt the missing character and love triangle blah blah, but the thing is that she can still have males that matter to her in her life and be totally with Adam. You don't have to just cut them out. I don't know, just my opinion.
And yeah, loved Mercy and Adam in this one :)

@Glory LOL, I understand you just fine sweets :)
The thing is, he wasn't in love with Mercy anymore in a romantic way. They can be bonded and pack without needing to screw eachother, ya know? And he did have history with Ari, but it still happened very fast and I honestly don't want Sam and Mercy to not be able to be family anymore just because they're with other people, you know what I mean?

Glory said...

Yep, i know, but it's pretty difficult that it'll happen. they'r pack and not only this. they r in love,yeah not like lovers, but family. ;)
Anyway, i cant wait for next year for the next book!

The Queen B said...

@Glory I always have this problem. I read the book so fast and then I can't wait for the next one, lol. It's torture! :P

Julissa said...

I totally felt that the person missing has been absent within the story line and I guess it makes sense, but I still miss his personality and interactions with Mercy. I liked that Sam found someone but I agree it was totally rushed and felt kind of hastily made up...But I still love the series!

 
That's QUEEN Bitch To You © 2007 Template feito por Áurea R.C.